Last updated: Feb 2014
The following is a list of key peer-reviewed publications by RSCJ faculty:
- Brunson, Rod K., Anthony A. Braga, David Hureau, and Kashea Pegram. Forthcoming. “We Trust You, But Not That Much: Examining Police-Black Clergy Partnerships to Reduce Youth Violence.” Justice Quarterly.
- Brunson Rod K., & Jacinta. M. Gau. Forthcoming. “Officer race versus macro-level context: A test of competing hypotheses about Black citizens’ experiences with and perceptions of Black police officers.” Crime & Delinquency.
- Miller, Joel, Copeland*, K., & Sullivan, M. L. (in press). Keeping them off the corner: How probation officers steer offenders away from crime opportunities. The Prison Journal.
- Maloney*, C. & Miller, Joel (2014). The impact of a risk assessment instrument on juvenile detention decision-making: A check on “perceptual shorthand” and “going rates”? Justice Quarterly. Advance online publication. doi: 10.1080/07418825.2013.863961
- Caplan, J. M., Kennedy, L. W., & Piza, E. L.* (2013). Joint utility of event-dependent and environmental crime analysis techniques for violent crime forecasting. Crime and Delinquency, 59(2), 243-270.
- Corsaro, Nicholas, Rod K. Brunson, and Edmund McGarrell. 2013. “Problem-Oriented Policing and Open-Air Drug Markets: Examining the Pulling Levers Deterrence Strategy in Rockford, Illinois.” Crime & Delinquency. 59: 1085-1107.
- Lindegaard, Marie Rosenkrantz, Jody Miller and Danielle M. Reynald. 2013. “Cultural Heterogeneity, Transitory Mobility and Victimization Risk among Young Men of Color: Insights from an Ethnographic Study in Cape Town, South Africa.” Criminology. 51: 967-1008.
- Miller, Jody and Kristin Carbone-Lopez. 2013. “Gendered Carceral Regimes in Sri Lanka: Colonial Laws, Post-Colonial Practices, and the Social Control of Sex Workers.” Signs: Journal of Women in Culture and Society. 39: 79-103.
- Miller, J. (2013). Contemporary modes of probation officer supervision: The triumph of the “synthetic” officer? Justice Quarterly. Advance online publication. doi:10.1080/07418825.2013.
- Miller, J. (2013). Individual offending, routine activities and activity settings: Revisiting the routine activity theory of general deviance. Journal of Research in Crime and Delinquency. 50,390-416.
- Miller, J., & Maloney*, C. (2013). Practitioner compliance with risk/needs assessment tools: A theoretical and empirical assessment. Criminal Justice & Behavior, 40, 716-736.
- Miller, J., Caplan, J.M., & Ostermann, M. (2013). Home nodes, criminogenic places, and parolee failure: Testing an environmental model of offender risk. Crime and Delinquency. Advance online publication. doi:10.1177/0011128713478130
- Berg, Mark T., Eric A. Stewart, Rod K. Brunson, and Ronald L. Simons. 2012. “Neighborhood Cultural Heterogeneity and Adolescent Violence.” Journal of Quantitative Criminology. 28: 411-435.
- Caplan, J. M. (2012). Protecting parole board legitimacy in the twenty-first century: The role of victims’ rights and influences. Victims and Offenders, 7, 1-24.
- Caplan, J. M., Kennedy, L. W., & Baughman, J. (2012). Kansas City’s Violent Crime Initiative: A Place-Based Evaluation of Location-Specific Intervention Activities during a Fixed Time Period. Crime Mapping, 4(2), 9-37.
- Carbone-Lopez, Kristin, Jennifer Gatewood Owens*, and Jody Miller. 2012. “Women’s ‘Storylines’ of Methamphetamine Initiation in the Midwest.” Journal of Drug Issues. 42: 226-246.
- Carbone-Lopez, Kristin and Jody Miller. 2012. “Precocious Role Entry as a Mediating Factor in Women’s Methamphetamine Use: Implications for Life-Course and Pathways Research.” Criminology. 50: 187-220.
- Henriksen, Ann-Karina and Jody Miller. 2012. “Dramatic Lives and Relevant Becomings: Toward a Deleuze- and Guattari-Inspired Cartography of Young Women’s Violent Conflicts.” Theoretical Criminology. 16: 435-461.
- Miller, Jody and Andrea Nichols. 2012. “Identity, Sexuality, and Commercial Sex among Sri Lankan Nachchi.” Sexualities. 15: 554-569.
- Piza, E. L.*, Caplan, J. M., & Kennedy, L. W. (2012). Is the punishment more certain? An analysis of CCTV detections and enforcement. Justice Quarterly
- Apel, Robert & John D. Burrow. 2011. Adolescent victimization and violent self-help. Youth Violence and Juvenile Justice 9.
- Braga, A. A., D. M. Hureau, & A. V. Papachristos. 2011. The relevance of micro places to citywide robbery trends: A longitudinal analysis of robbery incidents at street corners and block faces in Boston. Journal of Research in Crime and Delinquency 48.
- Brunson, Rod K., & Ronald Weitzer. 2011. “Negotiating unwelcome Police encounters: The intergenerational transmission of conduct norms.” Journal of Contemporary Ethnography. 40; 425-456.
- Caplan, J. 2011. Mapping the spatial influence of crime correlates: A comparison of operationalization schemes and implications for crime and criminal justice practice. Cityscape: A Journal of Policy Development and Research 13.
- Caplan, J. M., L. W. Kennedy, & J. Miller. 2011. Risk terrain modeling: Brokering criminological theory and GIS methods for crime forecasting. Justice Quarterly 28.
- Caplan, J. M., L. W. Kennedy, & G. Petrossian. 2011. Police-monitored CCTV cameras in Newark, NJ: A quasi experimental test of crime deterrence. Journal of Experimental Criminology 7.
- Chin, Ko -Lin & James Finckenauer. (2011). Chickenheads, agents, mommies, and jockeys: The social organization of transnational commercial sex. Crime, Law and Social Change.
- Christian, J. & Kennedy, L.W. (2011). Secondary Narratives in the Aftermath of Crime: Family Members’ Relationships with Prisoners. Punishment and Society, 13(4): 379-402.
- Clear, T. 2011. A private-sector, incentives-based model for justice reinvestment. Criminology & Public Policy 10.
- Griffiths, E., C. Yule, & R. Gartner. 2011. Fighting over trivial things: Explaining the issue of contention in violent altercations. Criminology 49.
- Kennedy, L. W., J. M. Caplan & E. Piza. 2011. Risk clusters, hotspots, and spatial intelligence. Risk terrain modeling as an algorithm for police resource allocation strategies. Journal of Quantitative Criminology 27.
- Miller, Jody. 2011. “Beach Boys or Sexually Exploited Children? Competing Narratives of Sex Tourism and their Impact on Young Men in Sri Lanka’s Sex Industry.” Crime, Law and Social Change. 56: 485-508.
- Ostermann, Michael. 2011. Parole? Nope, not for me: Voluntarily maxing out of prison. Crime & Delinquency 57.
- Pires, S., & R. V. Clarke. 2011. Sequential foraging, itinerant fences and parrot poaching in Bolivia. British Journal of Criminology 51.
- Ridgeway, G., A.A. Braga, G. Tita, & G. L. Pierce. 2011. Intervening in gun markets: An experiment to assess the impact of targeted gun law messaging. Journal of Experimental Criminology 7.
- Stemen, Don & Andres F. Rengifo. 2011. Policies and imprisonment: The impact of structured sentencing and determinate sentencing on State incarceration rates, 1978-2004. Justice Quarterly 28.
- Welsh, B. C., M. E. Peel, D. P. Farrington, H,. Elffers, & A. A. Braga. 2011. Research design influence on study outcomes in crime and justice: A partial replication with public area surveillance. Journal of Experimental Criminology 7.
- Wintemute, G. J., & A A. Braga. 2011. Opportunities for State-level action to reduce firearm violence: Proceeding from the evidence. American Journal of Public Health 101.
- Apel, R., & G. Sweeten. 2010. The impact of incarceration on employment during the transition to adulthood. Social Problems 57.
- Apel, R., Blokland, A., Nieuwbeerta, P., & M. van Schellen 2010. The impact of imprisonment on marriage and divorce: A risk set matching approach. Journal of Quantitative Criminology 26.
- Brady, L, L. Najavits, D. Toussaint, D. Bonavota, & B. Veysey. 2010. Does criminal involvement matter? A study of women with co-occurring disorders in a multisite national trial. Mental Health and Substance Use 3.
- Braga, A. A., A. V. Papachristos, & D. M. Hureau. 2010. “The concentration and stability of gun violence at micro places in Boston, 1980 – 2008. Journal of Quantitative Criminology 26.
- Braga, A. A. 2010. The empirical evidence for hot spots policing. Police Studies 17.
- Braga, A. A. 2010. Setting a higher standard for the evaluation of problem-oriented policing initiatives. Criminology & Public Policy 9.
- Caplan, J. 2010. Parole release decision: Impact of positive and negative victim and non-victim input on a representative sample of parole-eligible inmates. Violence & Victims 25.
- Caplan, J. M., & S. C. Kinnevy. 2010. National surveys of state paroling authorities: Models of service delivery. Federal Probation 74.
- Caplan, J. M. 2010. Parole release decisions: Impact of victim input on a representative sample of inmates. Journal of Criminal Justice 38.
- Clarke, R. V.. S. Contre & G. Petrossian . 2010. Deterrence and fare evasion: results of a natural experiment. Security Journal 23.
- Cobbina, Jennifer, Toya Z. Like-Haislip, and Jody Miller. 2010. Gang fights versus cat fights: Urban young men’s gendered narratives of violence. Deviant Behavior 31.
- Gau, Jacinta M., & Rod K. Brunson. 2010. “Procedural justice and order maintenance policing: A study of inner-city young men’s perceptions of police legitimacy.” Justice Quarterly. 27: 255-279.
- Griffiths. E. 2010. Clearing the misty landscape: Teaching students whet they didn’t know then, but know now. College Teaching 58.
- Harris, A., W. Fisher, B. Veysey, L. Ragusa, & A. L. Lurigio. 2010. Sex offending and serious mental illness. Directions for policy and research. Criminal Justice & Behavior 37.
- Matejkowski, J., Caplan, J. & S. Wiesel Cullen. 2010. The impact of severe mental illness on parole decisions. Social integration within a prison setting. Criminal Justice & Behavior 37.
- Miller, J. 2010. Stop and search in England. A reformed tactic or business as usual? British Journal of Criminology 50.
- Rengifo, A. F., D. Stemen, B. Dooley, E. Amidon, & A. Gendon. 2010. Cents and sensibility. A case study of corrections reform in Kansas and Michigan. Journal of Criminal Justice 38.
- Veysey, B., J. Grasmere & R. Andersen. 2010. Supporting peer recovery in rural New England: The RECOVER project, Franklin County, MA. Alcoholism Treatment Quarterly 28.
- Veysey, B., & K. M. Zgoba. 2010. Sex offenses and offenders reconsidered. An investigation of characteristics and correlates over time. Criminal Justice & Behavior 37.
- Wintemute, G. J., D. Hemenway, D. Webster, G. L. Pierce, & A. A. Braga. 2010. Gun shows and gun violence: Fatally flawed study yields misleading results. American Journal of Public Health 100.
- Wintemute, G. J., A. A. Braga, & D. M. Kennedy. 2010. Private-party gun sales, regulation, and public safety. The New England Journal of Medicine 363.
- Cobbina, Jennifer E., Jody Miller, & Rod K. Brunson. 2008. “Gender, neighborhood danger, and risk-avoidance strategies among urban African –American youths.” Criminology. 46: 673-709.
- Brunson, Rod K. 2007. “‘Police Don’t Like Black People’: African American Young Men’s Accumulated Police Experiences.” Criminology & Public Policy. 6:71-102.