Accelerated Master’s Program (B.S./M.A.)
The Accelerated Master’s program (B.S. /M.A. joint degree) makes it possible for highly motivated and qualified undergraduate students who determine early in their postsecondary education that they wish to pursue graduate studies in criminal justice. This five-year joint bachelor of science/master of arts (B.S. /M.A.) program makes it possible to earn a baccalaureate degree from the School of Criminal Justice, Newark College of Arts and Sciences (NCAS), University College-Newark (UC-N), or other participating institutions and a Master’s degree from the School of Criminal Justice.
There are several requirements before one can be considered for admission into this program:
- Completion of 94 undergraduate credits in liberal arts subjects (may include transfer credits);
- Satisfactory completion of the core curriculum requirements of NCAS, UC-N or SCJ;
- Completion of undergraduate criminal justice major requirements;
- A cumulative grade-point average of 3.2 or better at NCAS, UC-N or SCJ; and
- A Graduate Record Examination (GRE) test score (taken in the junior year) acceptable to the School of Criminal Justice.
Careful planning is necessary to complete the undergraduate requirements with just 94 credits. The B.S./M.A. degree program is generally open only to students who have done all their postsecondary studies at Rutgers University Newark.
Students need to also fulfill all general requirements for admission consideration (e.g., GRE scores, personal statement, three letters of recommendation, etc.). Please note that GRE scores are required. All applications are due May 1st and will be reviewed by the M.A. Academic Oversight Committee.
Students interested in this program should contact the Office of Academic Program and Student Services in their first year; an official declaration of intent must be filed during the sophomore year. Application for early admission to the School of Criminal Justice is then made at the beginning of the second semester of the junior year.
For more information on how to apply, visit: http://gradstudy.rutgers.edu/apply/application-guidelines.
In order to graduate from the School of Criminal Justice, all undergraduate students must complete the following requirements:
- Successful completion of at least 120 degree credits
- Successful completion of the college’s core curriculum
- Successful completion of one of the major programs of study
- Successful completion of a second concentration*
- Successful completion of the writing intensive requirement
- Successfully earning a cumulative grade-point average of 2.0 or better
Steps to Graduation
- Before registering for your final semester schedule an appointment with your Academic Advisor.
- Before registering for your final semester meet with your faculty advisor in yourmajor and second concentration.
- Check “The Grad Finale” Blackboard site for graduation and commencement information.
- Apply for graduation via GradTracker.
|Diploma Date||Application Deadline|
|January Degree||October 15|
|May Degree||February 15|
|October Degree||July 30|