The School of Criminal Justice values experiential learning as a key component to undergraduate and graduate studies. Internships, research, and field experiences can help students make informed decisions regarding their educational and career experiences. An internship can be a great, hands-on way to learn more about a specific aspect of the criminal justice field. It’s also a terrific way to make professional contacts.
The School of Criminal Justice offers academic credit for approved internships. Internships offer undergraduate students the opportunity to gain pre-professional experience in criminal justice. Credit for approved internships is granted through the course numbered 202:499.
Academic credit. In general, three hours of academic credit may be earned for 150 hours of internship experience. The course is graded pass/fail.
Eligibility. Juniors or seniors (64+ credit hours) with a minimum grade point average of 3.3 are eligible to take an internship course.
Approval. Students must have approval from the SCJ Director of Community Outreach in order to register for the course. A special permission number is required. Contact the Director of Community Outreach, Lori Scott-Pickens at email@example.com.
Internship forms can be downloaded here:
In partnership with Rutgers University-Newark, Braven exists to empower promising college students, like yourself, with the skills, networks, and experiences needed to transition into strong first jobs after graduation. With a tight labor market, getting started on career planning early will give you a competitive edge.
- Meet 1x/week in a small cohort of 5-8 RU-N students led by a working professional
- Figure out how to translate your academic skills to the professional world and build a career roadmap (10-year plan for your future) to get you there
- Develop confidence and skills (problem solving, working in teams, and so much more!) needed in the workplace
- Grow your network and gain access to mentorship and internship opportunities
- Learn about internship and fieldwork possibilities
Braven is just one of many resources available to students at the Rutgers – Newark campus. Visit the Career Development Center for any career-related services or visit their website at careers.newark.rutgers.edu.